Here is day 3 and there are already some visible sprouting. Once again I’m not sure from what point Crumley considered a seed to be germinating but I definitely see radicle growth in many of the seeds in the ddw, and di water samples, and some sprouting in the 33% d2o sample. As expected, the sample with no seeds shows no sprouting (or abnormal growth of any sort).
I counted anything that had a white tip as the beginning of germination and here are my results (feel free to double check my numbers):
- No seeds – 0/0
- DDW – 19/30
- DI water – 20/30
- 33% D2O – 3/30
- 66% D2O – 0/30
- 99.9% D2O – 0/30
Before counting for germination, I counted to ensure there were 30 seeds in each sample, then I counted the white tips. It should be noted that after I took the picture for the 33% D2O I dropped the sample, a drop of water was lost, but more importantly the bubble moved all the seeds around.
Also to be noted, in the 33% D2O sample there is a white floating thing. I’m not sure what it is, but it could be a premature seedling that shed it’s seed coat. I still counted 30 seeds without the white thing, so we’ll see what happens. This is visible in the picture before I dropped it, so the trauma from dropping isn’t what caused the premie.
Update to Data: I added the original Crumley data to the spreadsheet on it’s own sheet and I made a graph of the current data. So far it matches up pretty well, but it is only day 3. Crumley reported a lot of growth in 33% D2O by day 5 and a lot of growth in 66% D2O by day 8. Around that time is when the first seeds started to sprout in 99.9% D2O.
This article and its reviews are distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and redistribution in any medium, provided that the original author and source are credited.